Import SQL Data into Excel File
In this tutorial, we are going to import data from an external SQL database. This exercise assumes you have a working instance of SQL Server and the basics of SQL Server.
In this Excel tutorial, you will learn –
- Import SQL Data into Excel File
- How to Import Data to Excel using Wizard Dialog
- How to Import MS Access Data into Excel with an Example
First, we create an SQL file to import into Excel. If you have already SQL exported file ready, then you can skip the following two steps and go to the next step.
- Create a new database named EmployeesDB
- Run the following query
USE EmployeeDB GO CREATE TABLE [dbo].[employees]( [employee_id] [numeric](18, 0) NOT NULL, [full_name] [nvarchar](75) NULL, [gender] [nvarchar](50) NULL, [department] [nvarchar](25) NULL, [position] [nvarchar](50) NULL, [salary] [numeric](18, 0) NULL, CONSTRAINT [PK_employees] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [employee_id] ASC )WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY] ) ON [PRIMARY] GO INSERT INTO employees(employee_id,full_name,gender,department,position,salary) VALUES ('4','Prince Jones','Male','Sales','Sales Rep',2300) ,('5','Henry Banks','Male','Sales','Sales Rep',2000) ,('6','Sharon Burrock','Female','Finance','Finance Manager',3000); GO
How to Import Data to Excel using Wizard Dialog
- Create a new workbook in MS Excel
- Click on DATA tab
- Select from the Other sources button
- Select from SQL Server as shown in the image above
- Enter the server name/IP address. For this tutorial, am connecting to localhost 127.0.0.1
- Choose the login type. Since am on a local machine and I have Windows authentication enabled, I will not provide the user id and password. If you are connecting to a remote server, then you will need to provide these details.
- Click on the next button
Once you are connected to the database server. A window will open, you have to enter all the details as shown in the screenshot
- Select EmployeesDB from the drop-down list
- Click on the employees table to select it
- Click on the next button.
It will open a data connection wizard to save data connection and finish the process of connecting to the employee’s data.
- You will get the following window
- Click on the OK button
Thank you to Guru 99